Seminar: Biotech & Pharmaceutical Patenting
Effective strategies to create, use and protect your IP Portfolio
This one day comprehensive program has been designed to offer the latest patent office and practitioner insights in the current standards of biopharma patenting, the best offensive moves and defensive plays to get maximum value from your inventions.
Date: February 22, 2006
Place: Leuven - Brabanthal
10h00 Welcome/intro - Staf Van Reet (FlandersBio)
10h15 The Biotech Directive: principles, implementation and consequences - Bill Bird & Liesbet Paemen (Bird Goen)
10h45 The aftermath of the EC biotech Directive for Biotech/pharma industry: Compulsory licenses & Research exemption - Sven Bostyn (De Clercq, Brants & Partners)
11h30 EPO requirements for patenting genes and proteins - Ann De Clercq (De Clercq, Brants & Partners)
- How to demonstrate functionality?
- Will late-filed functional data be accepted?
- The effect of prior art on a sequence without function.
- Inventive step over homologous sequences
12h00 Patenting Diagnostic Tools - Henk Laanen (Tibotec-Virco CVA)
13h30 How IP Plays A Role In The Life Cycle Of A Pharmaceutical Product - Frank Daelemans (Tibotec-Virco CVA & Janssen Pharmaceutica NV)
14h00 Broad claims in Biotech? The story of the Kirin-Amgen patent - Bill Bird (Bird Goen)
14h30 Interface between regulatory & patents (the regulatory perspective) - Olivier Lemaire (NautaDutilh)
15h30 Specific Legal Topics related to the Exploitation of Academic Research by External Partners - Hans Bracquené
16h00 Catch me if you can, and Protect it when you can: how strong are patent rights today in Belgium? - Benoit Strowel (NautaDutilh), Bruno VanderMeulen (Bird & Bird)
17h00 Closing drink
Who should attend?
- Industrial and academic biotech researchers
- Business development, licensing, technology assessment, external collaboration, legal and alliance managers
- Executives and members of the investment community involved in value driven biotech projects
- All individuals who want to improve and broaden their knowledge on patent protection, enforcement & freedom to operate
- Patent attorneys, officers & coordinators, licensing and intellectual property lawyers, who are involved in protecting and enforcing biotech inventions
This seminar is organized by Leuven.Inc and FlandersBio, financially supported by Hans Bracquené and Bird & Bird.