Visionary seminar: The modern nomad: new technologies enable true mobile connectivity
True ambient intelligence aims at providing electronic environments that are sensitive and responsive to the presence of people. For that purpose, current networks evolve into a dynamic and self-organizing ad-hoc, multi-hop network with distributed fixed, mobile and sensor devices. This network will configure itself to optimally make use of the distributed compute, transmit and energy resources in order to offer the best services to the user.
The technologies needed to realize this vision are manifold, and so are the challenges, both at the network side as well as at the user side. Due to the increased demand for wireless communications, especially of multimedia such as 3D video, through all sorts of communication channels and standards, and the trend towards more multi-functional applications, the development of such mobile systems have increased exponentially in complexity. Added to that the demand for user friendliness, reliability and flexibility results in a series of technological challenges that have to be addressed: chip platform architectures, hardware-software co-design, design for ultra-low power, software-defined radios, etc.
This seminar will highlight the future of the wireless multimedia communications, and the technologies needed to realize this vision.
The visionary seminars are a joint initiative of Leuven.Inc and IMEC.
Date: Thursday March 16, 2006 (17:00-21:00)
Location: IMEC Auditorium, Kapeldreef 75, 3001 Leuven
- 17:00 Registration participants
- 17:30 Welcome and introduction: Opportunities and trends in true mobile connectivity - Peter Vanbekbergen (IMEC)
- 17:45 Mobile Broadband Society: what technologies can make this happen? - Jan Callewaert (Option)
- 18:30 Sandwich break
- 18:50 The service provider perspective on applications - David A.Hytha (Wireless Entrepreneur, Formerly of T-Mobile)
- 19:30 Key technologies for the future universal nomadic assistent - Jan Bormans (IMEC)
- 20:00 Questions and answers
- 20:20 Closing reception