Model-based functional reconstructive surgery
This seminar is a joint organization of Leuven.Inc and Leuven Medical Technology Center (L-MTC), powered by Flanders Smart Hub and hosted by L-MTC.
Orthopedic and maxillo-facial surgery, intended to treat a number of bone and joint pathologies, are among the most promising fields for model based surgery. This seminar will highlight research and development activities in Vlaams-Brabant. A view will be given on new technologies and also how these fit into the latest trends in society, business perspectives, regulatory and reimbursement frameworks. In addition, top clinicians from the University Hospitals in Leuven will present how they translate related innovations into clinical practice.
Some practical aspects
Date: Thursday, March 24, 2011 (13h30-18h15)
Location: Thermotechnisch Instituut, Kasteelpark Arenberg, 3001 Leuven
Medical device companies, academic researchers, clinical practitioners, healthcare providers, supporting organizations, authorities, decision makers and all other interested professionals
- 13h30: Registration and coffee
- 14h00: Welcome and introduction: 'Opportunities for patient specific biomedical engineering'
Prof. Jos Vander Sloten (Biomechanics and Engineering Design, K.U.Leuven and chairman of the Leuven Medical Technology Center)
- 14h20: Current and future manufacturing of custom-made instrumentation
Johan Ex (Product Manager Materialise)
- 14h50: A clinical perspective in the field of maxillo-facial surgery
Prof. dr. Joseph Schoenaers (Head of stomatology and maxillo-facial surgery, UZ Leuven)
- 15h20: Model-Based Image Processing Assisting Reconstructive Surgery
Peter Claes (post-doc researcher, medical Imaging Research Center, K.U.Leuven)
- 15h50: Coffee break
- 16h20: Custom implants: Advanced design, evaluation and documentation
Frederik Gelaude (CEO, Mobelife)
- 16h50: The strategic environment for entrepreneurship in custom implants
Richard Van den Broeck (Directeur, Unamec)
- 17h10: Opportunities for patient specific biomedical engineering
Prof. dr. Johan Bellemans (Head of orthopedics - traumatology, UZ Leuven)
- 17h40: Opportunities of additive manufacturing in surgical applications
Ruben Wauthlé (Application Engineer medical applications, Layerwise)
- 18h10: Q&A
- 18h30: Drink and networking
Presentations will be in English.