ICT Spin-off Day: Starting and growing your ICT company
Did you ever dream of turning your promising ICT research, whether it is hardware or software, into business by creating a spin-off company? But how to realize this dream?
Who are your first contacts? What are the critical steps and key ingredients for success? What business plan to write? What income models are possible? How to protect your IP? How to finance the different steps in technology/IP development, market and business model validation and business creation? How to make the difference?
If you want an answer to these questions, would like to meet 'like minded' people and want to address your questions to trend-setting role models and leading experts in the field, then come and join us at the ICT Spin-off Day.
This unique event is specifically organized for all masters and Ph.D. students, for post-docs and researchers active in the ICT area. It is also an interesting platform for companies who want to get acquainted with spin-offs within the ICT sector.
The ICT Spin-off Day is an initiative of the K.U.Leuven Information and Communication Technology Centre (LICT) and Leuven.Inc in collaboration with K.U.Leuven Research & Development (LRD).
Some practical aspects
Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 (13h30-18h15)
Location: Thermotechnisch Instituut, Kasteelpark Arenberg 41, 3001 Heverlee
- Master students, Ph.D. students, post-docs and researchers with an ICT focus
- IOF Industrial Research Managers, Interface departments
- All other interested professionals
- 13h30: Welcome coffee
- 14h00: Trends in ICT: Hardware & Software, Georges Gielen, Prof. and Chair of LICT/head of ESAT-MICAS K.U.Leuven and Erik Duval, Prof. and head of Hypermedia & Databases Research Group K.U.Leuven
- 14h30: Spin-off Creation & Experiences at K.U.Leuven, Rudi Cuyvers, Innovation Manager K.U.Leuven Research & Development
- 15h00: Venturing Program & Experiences at Alcatel-Lucent, Danny Goderis, Alcatel-Lucent, Vice-President Bell Labs Benelux
- 15h30: IP Strategies for ICT Companies, Herman Van der Auweraer, Corporate RTD Manager LMS
- 16h00: Coffee break
- 16h20: Funding Strategies and Business Models for ICT Companies, Alex Brabers, Executive Vice-President Venture Capital GIMV
- 16h50: University ICT Spin-offs: real life experiences
*** case 1: Equipment: ICOS Vision Systems - Antoon De Proft, former CEO ICOS Vision Systems
***case 2: Software: Cartagenia/DATA4s - Herman Verrelst, CEO Cartagenia, former CEO Medicim & DATA4s
***case 3: Chip Design: AnSem - Stefan Gogaert, CEO AnSem
***case 4: Open Source: @mire - Bram Luyten, VP Marketing & Sales @mire
- 17h30: Insights from an Established Entrepreneur
Jan Callewaert, founder and CEO Option
- 18h00: Closing remarks
- 18h15: Drink
Presentations will be in English.